Its ice cream weather and now here to stay.
This quick and easy banana ice cream needs no added sugar, is gluten free and you can make it in the comfort of your home knowing exactly what has gone into it. All you need is to squeeze some fresh lemon to keep the bananas from discolouring before freezing. The result is fantastic even if not re-frozen again.
If you are in a mood of something less healthy you may prefer the Old fashioned Maltese ice cream made with evaporated milk or the quick vanilla and date ice cream
Ingredients: 2 bananas Juice of ¼ lemon
- Make sure you use ripe bananas; cut them up and place them in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice all over.
- Place in the freezer.
- When frozen, take them out and blend, using a food processor or hand blender (not a liquidiser).
- The bananas will break down and then become very creamy with the consistency of ice cream.
- I used a piping bag to pipe into decorative glasses and garnished with a wafer, but you can simply spoon in.
- You can either serve it as it is, or refreeze it for half an hour to solidify more and serve using a traditional ice cream scoop.
Add cocoa powder for a chocolatey taste
Add peanut butter for a peanutty taste
Any frozen berries for a pink colour and to boost it with more fruit
Coconut milk for a coconutty tastes
Vanilla or cinnamon for more flavour
Frozen dates or maple syrup if you like a really sweet taste
Stevia if you want to watch your calories or are diabetic and like a sweet taste