‘Pippa’s apple pie can be made so very quickly without the use of any kitchen appliances, simply mixed by hand. It is gluten free and Pippa grinds whole blanched almonds for absolute freshness… and when its ready, the smell, the taste – just divine. If you are in a mood for an extra treat, Pippa suggests topping with fresh cream’
You will need:
• 1½kg cooking apples
• 75g soft brown sugar
• 200g freshly ground blanched almonds
• 200g butter, at room temperature
• 150g caster sugar
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• A pinch of cinnamon
1. Peel and chop the apples.
2. Put in a large pan with the brown sugar, cinnamon and approximately 2 tbsp water and stew until the apples are soft and starting to brown.
3. Transfer them to a buttered ovenproof flan dish, pressing down evenly.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy.
5. Slowly mix in the beaten eggs a little at a time to prevent curdling. However don’t worry if it does curdle – add a little ground almond and then continue.
6. Fold in the ground almonds and mix again.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180C for about 45 mins until golden and set.
8. Serve hot or cold with fresh cream.
9. This pudding can be made ahead and chilled in the fridge. When time to serve warm in a moderate oven.
Photos: Gino Galea, Rachel Zammit Cutajar