Carob Syrup from the heart of the Mediterranean!

20140715-134007.jpg

I get excited when I stumble on old recipes and look forward to trying them out in my kitchen. Today I am making a cake from a really old recipe but it requires carob syrup, a rather unusual ingredient. Although it is available on the island, I decide to make it myself. Is this a good idea?

Carob is gluten free, nut free, dairy free and caffeine free and the tree is native to the Mediterranean region. It is a great source of vitamins and is rich in protein, iron and calcium.

For the syrup, you will need:

2 kilos carob
2 kilos water ( I like weighing my water or measure 2 liters)
4 kilos sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla or less according to your preference
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Rinse the pods several times in water.

Roast them but do not overdo it, I left mine in the oven at 150C for 40 minutes

Leave to cool and break each pod into three or four pieces.

Immerse in water and soak overnight and boil in the same water for an hour,

Drain the liquid through a sieve and press pods to extract as much flavor as possible.

Add sugar, cloves, vanilla and cinnamon to the water,

Bring the water to a steady boil for for one hour to 1 1/2 hours, depending on how thick you want the syrup.

20140715-134120.jpg

Leave to cool and pour into sterilized jars before it fully cools down.

Soaking the carobs

20130719-152928.jpg

Comments

23 comments on “Carob Syrup from the heart of the Mediterranean!”
  1. clarsen2241 says:

What do you use this carob syrup for or in?

1. Carob syrup can be use in the same way as any other syrup, to pour over pancakes, ice cream and waffles etc. it has a distinctive, nutty, earthy, caramely flavor and is gluten free and high in iron and calcium. It can also be added to coffee and tea as a sweetener. On the island it is also used as a cough tincture. I will be posting a really old recipe for a delicious carob syrup cake today.

2. I truly will NEVER do this…but I’m so happy that you did so I could see it. Thank you.

1. Yes it’s very time consuming but the end product is much more delicious than the commercial one which often has a burnt taste from unnecessary prolonged hours of heat.. Glad you like it !

3. laura says:

I really want to make carob syrup but do not have access to carob pods. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN SUBSTITUTE WITH CAROB POWDER AND IF SO, HOW MUCH WOULD YOU USE? THANK YOU SO MUCH 🙂

1. hi laura, are you on face book? Please can you add me as i have a group board thwre where i post specific recipies and instrictions and information about food that readers request specifically to them, so i can connect with you and give you all the help amd information you need …. You need to add me as a friend first, its Lea Hogg

4. Reblogged this on Good Food Everyday and commented:

Mayor David Schembri, my guest on the cooking segment on Indigo on TV One, brought with him some newly harvested carob from the village of Qrendi. I have for reblogged my post from last year with a recipe foe carob syrup as I had a few requests last evening. This is an old time favorite making a comeback. Have a wonderful day !

5. borjius says:

hi! i’m practicing with your recipe. i’m living in port d’alcudia, in mallorca and I think the best moment of carobs (algarrobas) is now. all my home smells roasting carob!

6. pitz says:

I am making the carob syrup right now. I have just noticed that after breaking the pods the amount of water does not cover all carob pieces. I have 500 grams of carob so i added 1/2 liter of water. Is this right? I have to add about another 1/2 litre to cover. Hope this will not ruin the recipe. Thanks

7. gaiainaction says:

Enjoyed your article, though I bought the carob syrup in a jar on the island of Gozo. I am wondering about the sugar used in the recipe, is it molasses or is it refined white sugar? I am just very curious about this and it is totally new to me.
    Many thanks, Agnes

1. Hello agnes, we use refined sugar. Hope you enjoyed beautiful Gozo x

1. gaiainaction says:

Very much indeed, Gozo is a place where we will be returning for sure, all being well.